Frequently Answered Questions

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers!

Use our FAQs to find out answers to the most commonly asked questions

Why might I be due a tax refund?

If you have: changed employment within the last 4 tax years, worn a branded or recognisable uniform to perform your job, paid subscription/union fees and/or been issued with an emergency or non-generic tax code – you may be eligible for a tax refund.

What allowances can I claim?

Washing your work uniform; certain union and subscription fees; work tools & equipment. You can also claim a tax deduction for purchasing your own uniform/shoes which are used exclusively to perform your job.

How much am I due back?

Click here to receive your instant tax refund estimate.

How do I make a claim?

Simply follow the steps on our Claim page to complete your application in under 5 minutes.

How long does it take to receive my refund?

Approximately 8 to 12 weeks. Any requests for additional information from the Tax Office may increase the processing time.

Doesn’t my employer include these deductions?

Not necessarily. It is the taxpayers responsibility to ensure that all tax relief has been correctly claimed and included in his/her tax code.

Do I need to notify my employer about my claim?

No. This is a matter between the taxpayer and the tax office only.

How do I fill in my forms once my Claim Pack has arrived?

Click here to watch our tutorial on how to complete your Claim Pack.

What does a flat rate expense deduction mean?

This means an amount of money that a taxpayer can get tax relief on. For example, the minimum deduction for the cost of washing your uniform is £60 per year. This means that if you pay tax at the basic rate band of 20%, then you are due a refund of £12 (£60 x 20%). A higher rate taxpayer would be due a refund of £24 (£60 x 40%).

Can I claim for previous years?

Yes. You can claim tax relief for the last four years.

I think I may have done a claim in the past, is it worth doing again?

Tax codes change every year, so it is definitely worth doing another claim just to be sure you haven’t overpaid tax.

What if I don’t have a printer to print out my claim form?

You do not need to print your form. We automatically send out your form in the post as soon as we receive your online application.

Do I need to complete a separate claim form for each employment?

No, you can fill out all your employments (present & past) on the same claim form when it arrives in the post.

Will a tax claim affect my other benefits claimed?

No, applying for a tax refund does NOT affect any other benefits claimed eg working tax credits, child tax credits, JSA, ESA etc

Will a tax claim affect my visa status?

No, applying for a tax refund does NOT affect your visa, nor your ability to live/work in the UK

Can I make a tax claim if I have left the UK?

Provided you have worked and paid tax in the UK within the last 4 years, you are still eligible to make a claim.

Do you ask for bank details via email or SMS?

Click here to read more about our safety tips. We NEVER request bank passwords. If you are unsure about an email or SMS that you have received, please notify us immediately. Any email that we may send you, will address you by first name, NOT by your email address.

I have received a tax calculation from HMRC but not a cheque?

HMRC will send you a tax calculation for each year for which a refund is due. The final amount due will be shown on the most recent tax calculation (refunds from previous years are carried forward to the most recent year). Cheques are sent out within 3 weeks from the tax calculation date.

Will I get 4 refunds if I have received 4 tax calculations?

No. The amount that HMRC owes you, as detailed on your most recent tax calculation, is your actual refund. The previous year’s refunds have been carried forward to the most recent year.

What are your charges?

We operate on a no-win, no-fee basis. If you are not due a tax refund, there is no fee for our service. We will give you the peace of mind of knowing that your tax code has been reviewed and is correct – all for FREE (if you are not due a tax refund). Any refunds received incur a fee as per our Terms and Conditions. There are NO hidden fees. You will also receive 100% of the increase to your net pay in all future tax years.

Do you have a phone number?

All client correspondence is handled via email and post. Please feel free to get in touch via our dedicated email address: info@taxreturned.co.uk.

Do you offer a self-assessment service?

Yes we do. Please click here for more information.

Why have I received a late penalty notice?

You may have an outstanding self-assessment tax return which needs to be submitted. Please get in touch via selfassessments@taxreturned.co.uk

Claim Now

Free Tax Rebate Estimate

Choose your industry and amount of years to claim and we will estimate your refund on our tax rebate calculator.

Free Estimate

One More Question?

If we haven’t answered your question, please get in touch with us and we will gladly answer any further queries.

Get in Touch

Back to Top
WordPress Lightbox